Re: Re:Contaminated soil.......

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re:[cg]Contaminated soil.......
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:35:46 EDT

Key to all of this will be knowing what cocktail of toxins pollutes each
particular stretch of Katrina flooded land.  The chemical, bio-chemical work on
identifying what will remain as the floods recede is pretty daunting.

As with any kind of doctoring, the Hipocratic oath requires that "first, we
do no harm."

The mismanagement of the levees, the shameful perpetration of poverty
throughout the South, the decades-long slovinliness of the petrochemical industry in
an unregulated environment, and sheer disrespect for the power nature, and the
improvidence of our governmental agencies in preparing for the strength of
natural disasters like this hurricaine has led to much of the unnecessary human
suffering that attended this hurricane.

And I don't doubt for one second that fossil fuel burning on the scale that
our civilization has done has led to climactic changes that exacerbated the
force of this hurricaine.

The challenges that are going to be faced in trying to clean up our stupid,
human mistakes, in the midst of an ecological disaster like the toxic soup
created by Katrina's flooding mixing up our poisons boggles the mind.  The idea of
diagnosing what the "soup" has left behind will surprise even the best
biologists and chemists.

I do hope we can remediate this with our 'shrooms, bugs, and other forms of
bioremediation.  God knows that burying it will be well nigh on impossible.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden