Re: soil contamination on the high line

  • Subject: Re: [cg] soil contamination on the high line
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:04:50 -0400

On the High Line:

As a member of Manhattan Community Board 4, the community board in which the Highline is sited, and a longtime community gardener in the area I have some knowledge of the issues relating to the volunteer plants that have sprung up over the years between the tracks and the reasons for their being removed.

Safety:

While the visual image of plants growing through the abandoned train tracks of the Highline is quite attractive, the dirt and gravel bed is filled with old spent diesel fuel and the old railroad detrius of decades.  This raised walkway will be an active public park, and for liability and health issues, for the re-inforcement of this long railroad trestle, and for it's eventual planting, the old soil, lead paint, and all polluntants will have to be either removed or contained.

 Design: The Highline will have stretches of attractive plantings, put instead of the random volunteers that have appeared, the plantings will be chosen, and the "volunteers" which can often be invasive, will be removed.

While I have no direct connection to the planning of the "High Line," project, except for voting for it at various stages of city review, I am delighted to share the High Line website with you. http://www.thehighline.org/

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer
Clinton Community Garden