Community gardening and gang / prevention

  • Subject: [cg] Community gardening and gang / prevention
  • From: Vinnie Bevivino bevivino@umd.edu
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:04:44 -0400

Dear community gardeners:

I wanted to know if anyone out there could share some information
regarding community gardens and gang or violence prevention.  I am
writing a proposal for a grant for the funding of a community garden,
and it is asking me to specifically describe how the project will
contribute to a safe and gang-free community.  Does anyone have any
research or anything concrete that I could use that shows that
community gardens reduce community violence?  Thanks a whole lot!

Vinnie Bevivino
Community Garden Educator
The Engaged University Initiative
Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program