Re: rats, solutions to - Jack Russell Terriers - Not Lunchtime Reading

  • Subject: Re: [cg] rats, solutions to - Jack Russell Terriers - Not Lunchtime Reading
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:55:05 -0400

 Friends,

Remember the Jack Russell terrier on Kelsey Grammer TV series "Frasier,"?

Adorable, no?

Well...the Jack Russell terrier, traditionally  trained is the ultimate "mad-dog killer," of rats and other small vermin.  They are truly vicious, when their are discouraged from being "cute," and are their natural "Cujo" selves.  For this the Jack Russell Terrier was bred.

The ultimate rat killing machine.

Year ago on the lower east side, Chinatown, Harlem and certain select parts of the yet ungentrified Upper West Side,  there was a rather droll Welshman who trawled the streets in an old Volvo with  six, count 'em six, Jack Russell terriers, looking for "scouts, " usually kids or street people who would tip him off to   basements and apartments to clean out with his "troop."

Known as, "that crazy dog man," that "white man with the killer dogs," or "Lord Ratman," and variants thereof, this  guy wore a tweed jacket, cap, always carried a hip flask, had a wildly veined alcholic's nose that I swear shone like something out of the "Pickwick Papers,"  thick deerskin gloves, smoked a pipe filled with Balkan Sobranie.

you cannot make up someone like this - God or the Devil  sends these people to walk the earth...

"Lord Ratman,"  a valuable service for several communities - organic, non-poisonous rodent abatement (earth friendly, as some of our Kumbaya singing comrades might say) in persuit of blood sport.

And the cute, "Frasier," type Jack Russell terriers were as vicious as pirahna or Vice President Cheyney.

I saw one Jack Russell  down a hole in the old Liz Christy garden, the earth literally shook above the hole,  and watched it  pull up a Norway rat larger than it was to  praise ( and piece of raw liver) from "Lord Ratman."

In retrospect, "Lord Ratman," had to have been a semi-pathological individual, but he was loved on certain streets of NYC, where the city's "rat patrol," feared to tread.  And for weeks after he had left a building, nobody's baby got bitten -

As Martha Stewart would say, " a good thing."

Thinking of MAD DOGS, Welshmen, rat abatement and gardens,

Adam Honigman
Gardener,
Hell's Kitchen New York