Hunger Prevention Program Coordinator
- Subject: [cg] Hunger Prevention Program Coordinator
- From: "Betsy Johnson" email@example.com
- Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:42:32 -0400
HUNGER PREVENTION PROGRAM COORDINATOR
AmeriCorps* VISTA (1-yr position - Apply through AmeriCorp*VISTA website at
www.americorp.gov <http://www.americorp.gov/> )
Application Deadline: October 20, 2006
Program Description: The Hunger Prevention Program of the Kenosha County
UW-Extension builds the capacity of individuals, groups and communities to
reduce food insecurity in Kenosha.
Position Description: The Hunger Prevention Program Coordinator will
develop and coordinate programs and projects in Kenosha County to reduce
food insecurity. Projects may include needs assessment and distributing
resources relating to local food systems and programs. The VISTA position
* Support and strengthen the work of Kenosha agencies related to food
security and hunger prevention, especially in targeted neighborhoods.
* Raise the visibility of food system issues in Kenosha County.
* Increase contacts among individuals and organizations involved in
various aspects of the food system
* Develop and strengthen community gardens, food donations, and food
accessibility programs that benefit food insecure individuals and families
by working with agencies, community groups, families and individuals.
* Re-engage community groups and individuals in Field of Dreams Hunger
Prevention garden by the development and maintenance of an active governing
board and involved garden volunteers.
* Empower adults and youth to grow food for themselves and others.
* Motivate and support Community groups, families and individuals
though out the county to grow fresh produce for local pantries through
UW-Extension's neighborhood gardens and Plant A Row programs.
* In conjunction with the Kenosha County UW-Extension staff, identify
resources, help write grants, and look at other resources or funding that
will assist the low income community and those serving them to solve issues
related to food insecurity.
Compensation: AmeriCorp*VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) provides
$9200 per year living stipend (paid $354/biweekly), and also provides a
$4725 education award after completion of service that may be used for
payment of student loans or applied toward additional education. Health care
benefits, child care benefits, and relocation allowance are available if
Location: Kenosha County UW-Extension's offices are located in Bristol,
Wisconsin. Kenosha County is the southeastern-most county in Wisconsin,
centrally located between Chicago (public transit available) and Milwaukee.
The City of Kenosha contains ~158,000 people and is located along the shores
of Lake Michigan.
* Experience or familiarity with food insecurity issues
* Experience or familiarity with community gardening
* Experience working with volunteers, neighborhood groups and/or not
for profit agencies
* Ability to interact with diverse audiences and partners
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to organize work and to work productively without direct
* Ability to work in a team
* Ability to use word processing, Internet, Publisher
* Minimum age: 21
* Education requirement: Bachelors degree or 3-5 years experience
related to job responsibilities
* Language requirement: None, however the ability to speak Spanish
* Transportation: Vehicle (car) required
For more information: Barbara Larson, Horticulture Educator, Kenosha County
UW-Extension, (262) 857-1945 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
To post an e-mail to the list: email@example.com
To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden