compliments from Budapest/community gardens and landscapearchitects

  • Subject: [cg] compliments from Budapest/community gardens and landscapearchitects
  • From: "Kristin Faurest" kfaurest@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:46:19 +0000

I am currently doing a participatory-design project the residents of a
courtyard block of flats in one of the more congested and less-green
areas of Budapest. To try to give them inspiration at our last meeting I
brought a lot of photos of common gardens that I thought had workable
ideas. Just wanted to let you know, Adam and anyone else from Clinton who
reads this, that unanimously their favorite was yours. That, they said,
is what they want their garden to look like!

On another note, if anyone read the August issue of Landscape
Architecture, there is a wonderful editorial lauding community gardens as
important green spaces. As many of you probably know, with the exception
of Clare Cooper Marcus and Mark Francis (and, um, well, modest little me)
there are very few in the landscape architecture field who give community
gardens the attention they deserve.

You can read it online
http://www.asla.org/land/2006/0724/landmatters.html but here is an
excerpt:

These fragile community gardens, by contrast, allow city folk to
reestablish a connection with the land and their own food that past
generations enjoyed. They are a link to the human past, to a timeless way
of living on earth. Landscape architects rarely get involved in community
gardens because they are generally laid out by amateurs and arent a
lucrative practice opportunity. Still, I wonder if landscape architects
might be concerned about this basic venue for human/nature interaction in
much the same way they are concerned about preserving historic
landscapes. Shouldnt the act of gardening for food and places where that
happens against great odds have the same status as some of our designed
landscapes?

--Kristin Faurest

faurest.kristin@chello.hu