Re: Re: Re: Using newspapers

I've been using newspapers in the Maritimes to reclaim 2 acres of land
that was going wild. I cover newspaper layers with 6 inches or more of
seaweed. In the vegetable bed we just use seaweed but about 1 foot thick.
In my case I have more than grass sods to deal with - lots of roots from
wild raspberry and blackberry canes and wild roses - also many alder
seedlings. In my case the paper needs to be thicker especially for the
alder seedlings but it helps. I have no trouble with the paper not
breaking down due to our humidity and the moisture from the seaweed. It
does keep the soil moist so that i can pull out more easily the weeds that
get thropugh but with the amount of land it is still a slow process. If
anyone has any advice about reclaiming this type of land (also lots of
rocks in it and not much good soil) I would be most grateful.

Anita