Re: fern photographs on the Web

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Cynthia Farden wrote:

> A wonderful collection to view, Patrick.  Thanks for sharing it.

	My pleasure.

> Can you
> give specifics about the culture for the Actiniopteris? I would love to try
> growing it. Any idea where plants or spore might be available?

	Spore of Actiniopteris semiflabellata is (or was, at least, I got
some from them) available from the American Fern Society.  I don't know if
Actioniopteris radiata spore is ever available--the spore from which the
pictured plant was grown was collected by Dr. Gastony, IIRC in Olduvai
Gorge.  I've collected spore from these plants and will be trying to grow
both A. radiata and A. semiflabellata; if I'm successful, I might have
extras, ask me in another six months or so... As I'm not growing either at
the moment, I don't know a whole lot about culture, but Dr. Gastony's
plants are growing in full sun in a greenhouse, planted in MetroMix 360 (a
fine-grained commercial mix, don't remember who makes it), and watered
fairly heavily.  It's worth mentioning that for arid ferns generally,
drying out seems to be the main problem... from dry areas or not, these
things need to be kept pretty moist when grown in pots.

	Patrick Alexander