From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of Betsy
Feuerstein
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:26 PM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: Re: [ferns] Ants

Reggie and the group,

I have a similar story with solanopteris in Ecuador where I tried to
drown them to no avail. I was covered in stinging ants so finally I
bagged them up tightly and you can guess the rest......... they were
still there. I gambled and got them home and the ants were still there
when I got home.

Betsy

Regferns@aol.com wrote:

>Many of the Lecanopteris species are also homes for ants.  Ants are
>also
>attracted to plants with nectaries, such as many of the Aglaomorpha
species,
>particularly Photinopteris speciosum (now Aglaomorpha speciosa).
Interesting
>timing with the talk of Solanopteris brunei (the Potato Fern).   Last
evening,
>Robbin Moran spoke in Miami to the Tropical Fern & Exotic  Plant Society.
This
>morning around the breakfast table we were discussing  Solanopteris.  This
>discussion was prompted by the fact that a couple  of years ago while in
Borneo,