Re: Athyrium

Tom:

We notice a difference based on where the plants originated. For us, southern US collections emerge first, followed by the European A. filix-femina selections, followed by the NE US selections such as A. 'Lady in Red'. Within the European selections, A. 'Fieldiae' emerges first, then A. 'Frizelliae', then A. 'Victoriae' I hope this helps.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Tom Stuart wrote:
The set of lady ferns related to Athyrium filix-femina (European lady fern), including, depending on your favorite taxonomist, A. asplenoides (southern lady fern), A. angustum (northern lady fern), and A. cyclosorum (western lady fern) pose significant challenges in separation. In addition, A. filix-femina has numerous cultivars, many distinct, many coming true or mostly true from spore.

With few morphological differences the phenology can help diagnosis.

In conversation with Ralph Archer of Kentucky, he and I have noticed A. asplenoides emerging well before the other three species. In my garden A. asplenoides began unfurling on April Fools' Day whereas the others vary from a week or two later to the beginning of May. The other species do vary considerable from cultivar to cultivar or even plant to plant. With such a small sample of A. asplenoides (one plant each) we wonder whether this observation is general or a statistical artifact. I'd like to hear reports of differences in lady fern emergence where you have more than one species.
Tom Stuart
New York