How to kill Pteridium aquilinum?

  • Subject: [ferns] How to kill Pteridium aquilinum?
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:08:09 -0500

Hi everyone,

   When I purchased my house five years ago the backyard was filled with
   bracken ferns.  In the process of putting in new beds for perennials
   I've torn out lots and lots of these guys, but they seem to be coming
   back.

   I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't shade out all of the other
   plants in the area.

   Lately I've been pulling them out as they appear, but it's just a
   temporary fix.  I'd really like to get rid of these permanently so
   that I can grow more desireable perennials and ferns.

   Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.hort.net/gallery/      2986 online plant photos and growing!