Re: Killing Platycerium an essay

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Killing Platycerium an essay
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@lm.net.au
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:01:06 -0400

Hi Guys

I must add Ron Robbins (premier platy grower) reminded me tonight that P.
superbum, whose old fronds curve backwards behind the new forward facing
ones and channel water towards the bud area and not the older roots and can
also cause the shield fronds to develop brown patches.

It is prudent to remove some of the old shield fronds inside the new ones
especially during summer so moisture, new sphagnum and fertilizer is evenly
distributed.

I also suggest removing some of the old shield outer edge by around 6 inches
so the new ones sit better against the plaque.  Another tip around the same
time is to remove the old true fronds just as the new ones appear.  This
saves disaster at a later time when you may damage the new ones.

 Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum South Australia
On the www with Keith's Fern Page at
www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/

Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia Inc at
www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/