Re: Identification?

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Identification?
  • From: "Judith I Jones" <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:14:09 -0700

Hello,
Tom Stuart sent you to his marvelous data base for information about
Polsytichum retroso-paleaceum.  Details on theis fern are avaialble in the
most recommended fern books, John Mickel's, "Ferns for American Gardens",
Martin Rickard's, "Plant Finder's Guide to Hardy Ferns" and Barbara
Hoshizaki's, "Revised Fern Grower's Manual".
    I believe that both John and Barbara brought spores back from a
international botanical meeting on a trip to Japan in the early 90's or
earlier.  English growers most likely had it before the US did.
    It is one of the largest Polystichums. other than the native munitum,
that I have grown, over three feet tall, here in the Pacific Northwest.  The
foliage is rather soft as in braunii and it has a tendency to shoot up
growth a little early as in the manner of polyblepharum.  John Mickel grows
retroso-paleaceum close to a similar species ovato-paleaceum the most
distinctive difference being the reveresed direction of the scales on the
stipe and rachis.
Judith I. Jones, Fancy Fronds