Re: Re: Athyrium nipponicum cultivars...

--- jmanion <jmanion@mainegardens.org> wrote:

> Kyle, I believe that you have two different
> cultivars of the same species,
> and as such, should be written:
> Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum'
> Athyrium niponicum 'Apple Court'
> Botanical name in italics, cultivar name not, but in
> single quotes.
>
> Apparently the 'Apple Court' cultivar reveals soem
> cresting...but this may
> not be evident until mature. Niponicum is frequently
> misspelled nipponicum
> (it only has one p).
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> John
>

> John T. Manion, Director of Education
> Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
> PO Box 564, Boothbay, ME 04537
> Phone (207)633-4333
> www.mainegardens.org

Hey John....
  I remember that alot of the cultivars looked
identical and these days dont see alot of them around
any more..
They've kind of fallen out of favor here in maine as
their so slow to break dormancy as you probably well
know and after these past two winters with so many
garden losses the athyrium nipponicum's have moved to
the bottom of the want list even after being a
perennial plant of the year...

  kfb
http://mail.yahoo.com