Re: Athyrium nipponicum cultivars...

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: Athyrium nipponicum cultivars...
  • From: "Kent Kratz" kkratz@casaflora.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:55:48 -0500

We too have high pH water around 9.8 or higher.  We have been able to
keep the pH of the soil solution around 6.5 by using acid forming
fertilizers.  You might want to check the pH of your soil solution a few
weeks after planting to see what it is.
Applecourt originated as the result of a sexual cross (spore) and so is
not a sport although it does retain the basic characteristics of it's
parents - 'Pictum'.  It begins to crest right out of Stage 3 with the
cresting very evident in the finished 72 cell.  It will show better
color after the first dormancy than when very juvenile.

We have the opposite problem than you here in Texas; our winters are as
long as your summers and our summers are just plain hot.  Protection
from the sun and adequate water are a must here.  We have not heard of
over wintering problems in the upper Northeast.

Yes, there are a lot of Japanese Paint cultivars advertised these days.
I think that there are probably 5 or 6 general types (high color red,
high color white, high color both, green, crested, and maybe a dwarf)
that most growers would recognize at 15 feet and maybe less than that
that gardeners would recognize.

Kent Kratz
Casa Flora

Hey John....
  I remember that alot of the cultivars looked
identical and these days dont see alot of them around
any more..
They've kind of fallen out of favor here in maine as
their so slow to break dormancy as you probably well
know and after these past two winters with so many
garden losses the athyrium nipponicum's have moved to
the bottom of the want list even after being a
perennial plant of the year...