Re: freeze

  • Subject: Re: freeze
  • From: Bob <needham.rider@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 06:43:19 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=n0n2PWokQo0AfbsT2Vn+5iBDEAE+LppZkgZ8LePClqA=; b=i+Da+5m7qDcU+M2XCZb3nr/58UXpdWJz8T6Jk423mGQ8SkM+3DioEYLU1VEVX8Ski7 Jqw73yYfIjG3EogNxLkiXQiljMqomzNdqNfKDaHxvz6g1tg9kos+SjoUmeysQSxLv5Wy x8qjlz2/QrI5f+N3g8Rig8wAh1WwIz+lyL6dhH72O7TqnLd+UsOPxg4iSAH+ujJnWvGO oiYELf9o7OXjYlWiLYL07h/GoOdsMDn7j1aKLdyPhy6wljISRrcqbKoyy64UNmIs2w7R yt8W/O9M4lo77mCQKEoLpOKJkEcAB/fhJEDhL9snyIiQmtvmKqrhKYwLrqq9ztMYUq5d TOOA==

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM, ferniefred@gmail.com

> Hi Bob
> According to the idiot box the weather has turned bad and you are getting
> it quite cold.  Or is that an understatement?
> Hope you are coping OK
> Keith

Thanks, Keith!
We have a neat atomic clock that not only links wirelessly to the National
Atomic clock, but also links to an external temperature sensor outside on
our back deck, and projects both time and temp. onto our bedroom ceiling.
It's really cool, you don't even have to lift your head to look at a
bedside clock!

Here is reading of a few minutes ago, although it was at -2.5 at about 0300
earlier this morning. No pipes broken yet. It takes hardy plants to survive
here. USDA zone 7b, I think...

I won't have any outside ferns until I can build my "Wallipini".
I want to modify the design a bit, though, using a strategic-length North
(South for OZ) overhang to limit summer sun insolation and maximize it in
winter. In addition, I want to install several black plastic drums along
the North wall (South wall for OZ), and run my dripline water through them.
This will absorb solar heat during the day (lowering daytime temps), and
re-radiating the heat at night.

The wallipini has some other advantages: 1) We get some pretty fierce winds
here - the wallipini is pretty much flush with the ground, thus lowering
wind load on the structure and membrane, and 2) My wife won't complain
about having to look at a greenhouse!

I would also like to have a waterfall down one wall (with ferns on it, of
course!) aerating the water that would fall into a small fish pond
(aquaculture; the fish can be food). The fish water can be pumped out a
little at a time (and refreshed with fresh water, of course), and would go
to the plants (free fertilizer!).

I've been dreaming this up for about 20 years, and was surprised to see
that a basic model (without frills) had already been invented.

Do you have any good advice or info on a covering/membrane to use?
I've seen a rigid, clear, extruded, double-walled plastic panel that might
work well (think snow load), and perhaps be more durable and last longer
than a film, but I think it's rather pricey.

I think I can make the whole thing passive (solar collector for the pump),
and a passive, unpowered, wax cylinder for an overheating vent. I worry
about cooking everything if we get a power failure on a summer day, and I
had an electric motor-driven vent!

...I probably should read up on something like "Basic Greenhousing for
-Nevada Bob

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of photo(28).jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Walipini.pdf]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of CabinSnow.JPG]