Re: Pteris cretica

IS THE COFFEE HOT?
A very short one act play written by Rufino Osorio and inspired by Tony
Avent's post on the concept of "native."

Joe: Is the coffee hot?

John: The question of whether coffee is hot is a a human concept.

Joe: What?

John: When I first started making the coffee, everything was the same
temperature--the pots, the water, the coffee. Before coffee gets to our
kitchens and we prepare it, no one would call coffee hot.

Joe: Did you hear my question? I just want to know if the coffee is hot.

John: I once found some old coffee and it was cold, no one would
consider this coffee hot, but indeed it is.

Joe: You mean, "but indeed it was"?

John: (Ignoring Joe) Most of the coffee in America came from somewhere
else. This is why some people give coffee different names with
geographic designations such as Jamaican coffee or Colombian coffee but
once it gets here it should all be called American coffee.

Joe: Ummm, are you ever going to tell me if the coffee is hot?

John: I say, today's arguments over where coffee comes from, how much we
import, what trade barriers exist, etc. are actually moot in the grand
scheme of things.  People just want to know if the coffee tastes good,
is the price reasonable and is it hot.

Joe: Yeah, I know, people like me. So, is it hot?

John: If a plane or boat brings coffee to America, then we call it
imported coffee, but if the coffee were to be grown here, we would call
it domestic coffee...very interesting.

Joe: The only thing that interests me is whether or not the coffee is
hot!

John: Keep in mind that when we use the term "hot," we are referring
only to sensory perceptions in which humans can comprehend.

THE END

Cheers, Rufino
USDA Zone 10a