Blue Ferns

  • Subject: [ferns] Blue Ferns
  • From: "philip crabb" ninnescah@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:19:01 -0600

Hi,
Since coloration in ferns was a recent topic, I wonder if I might ask about the blue coloration in some ferns. There are several Elaphoglossum species that are a deep blue green, and even more so when they come in contact with water. And there is Microsorum steerii that does the same thing. What is the origin of the blue color, and can it be enhanced? Aluminum sulphate is fed to hydrangeas to deepen their blue. Can this be done with ferns?
Philip Crabb