NY Fern Society March 2005 Meeting

  • Subject: [ferns] NY Fern Society March 2005 Meeting
  • From: cle11104@att.net
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:18:57 +0000

  NOTE: Visitors to NYC are welcome to the meetings.
Speakers are welcome. Kindly contact e-mail address below

For subway travel instructions kindly contact: cle11104@att.net  privately

Wed, 9 Feb 2005

Dear Members and Friends,

        It was a balmy first Saturday in February - a wonderful day for visiting the New York Botanical Garden along with 40 others interested in ferns!  Plant Exploration - The Rest of the Story was enthusiastically received; John and Robbin also displayed their fern t-shirt collections, which told more stories of travels in the U.S. and abroad.  Our vice-president Suzy Ludwig and Bonnie McKenzie brought in an amazing and beautiful array of fernabilia, ranging from pillows to pots! All were auctioned off at the end of the meeting - fun for all!

        Our next meeting will be held March 5 as usual from 10 am to 1 pm in the New York Botanical Garden Museum Building on the fourth floor, in the herbarium lunch area.  Bring your lunch; coffee and tea will be provided.  Tom Stuart will speak to us about ferns in the internet.  His presentation will be Ferns in the Ether - an exploration of the outer realms of Google.  Come and learn about sources of fern information on the net.

        Looking ahead, on April 2 Jim Montgomery will be speaking to us about his fern travels last fall, and on May 7 we hope to have several species of baby hardy ferns for sale from our wholesaler friends in Dallas, Casa Flora.  Mark your calendars and plan to be with us.

        If you have suggestions for summer field trips, please give them to Catharine Allen (callen150@juno.com).

        Remember: in case there is bad weather and you are not sure if the meeting will be held, call Garden Security at the Mosholu Gate (718/817-8617).  If the meeting has been cancelled, we will have alerted Security by 8 am that morning.

Sincerely,
John Mickel
Chapter Secretary