Gleichenia

  • Subject: [ferns] Gleichenia
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:08:32 +1300

Hello all,

For what it's worth I can make some observations on Gleichenia in New
Zealand.

Here, ferns of this genus typically grow in a wet climate, on infertile soils
which also have impeded drainage. Such soils may be glacial till, various
clays, or sometimes peaty soils.

They typically grow right out in the open, so they get full sun whenever it
shines - which will not be every day, or necessarily all day. They get full wind
when it blows.  They get dew when it falls at night. If there is frost and snow,
they get that too, and sometimes grow at fairly high altitudes - but may also
be found nearly at sea-level - for example at Okarito on the West Coast of
the South Island in what we call a pakihi.

They very much like high atmospheric humidity at least some of the time.

I have found that to grow them inside the house a close vivarium will work,
and I have successfully used the kind of plastic container with a close-fitting
transparent lid that cake shops sell sponge cakes in.

The main problem I have had to face is forgetting to check that water levels
are adequate. They can stand some drying, but I am not sure how much.

Brian