Ann Herrington

This list has been pretty quiet for a long time.

Many of you probably are familiar with the many contributions to Fernet by Ann Herrington over the years. For me, personally, she was a great mentor in the world of ferns, and became a wonderful email friend over the years. The only time I ever met her face-to-face, was when she made a huge effort to come to the Houston airport once, as I passed through on a layover flight, just to meet me and to bring me a fern that she had grown, .
She was a real sweetheart to me, and the most knowledgeable botanist that I have ever known, with the possible exception of Keith Rogers, of Mannum, South Australia.

To say that Ann had a green thumb is an understatement. She had a great passion for growing plants of all types. She traveled with a group of botanist friends all over the world to observe orchids, ferns, carnivorous plants, and many others plant types growing in their natural habitats.  For many years she was an active member in the Greater North Texas Orchid Society, and the Southwestern Fern Society—which she established in 1979.

Carol "Ann" (McMillin) Herrington died peacefully at her home in Rockwall, TX on August 5, 2015 at the age of 70 after a long battle with cancer.
Ann enjoyed a full life, filled with passions, friendship and love. She was much loved and is already sorely missed.

This email is being sent on behalf of her daughter, Lisa Herrington Morgan, who, ironically, I only met after Ann's email responses fell silent, and Lisa made the effort to contact me. Lisa and I, in turn, have become good emailfriends in a similar relationship that I had with Ann, and Lisa is just as sweet as her mother was, if not more so.

Lisa would very much like to hear from anyone that knew Ann.

Lisa can be emailed at:

Please feel free to pass this email on to anyone outside the list that you may know of that knew Ann.
...if you chose to "reply all" to the list, we can all hear stories of her.

...as Ann used to close,
-Frondly yours,
-Bob Needham
"Nevada Bob"