Re: Ferns List is OK--back to fern topics?

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Ferns List is OK--back to fern topics?
  • From: StevenJRoyer@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:07:15 EST

I use 1 tsp oil (vegetable or mineral)
       1 tsp vinegar
       1 tsp soap (must be SOAP bar ivory is about the only brand name left
that is soap and NOT the liquid dish stuff they changed that to detergent.
       1 qt water

The vinegar dissolves the cotton from mealy bugs, oil suffocates the buggers,
and the soap is gentle and breaks the oil down to microbeads to be more
effectively administered.  This works on ferns with no damage and since I
have frogs and fish in the conservatory I worry about toxicity of things like
pyrethrins, they are toxic to critters.

Steven Royer
Special Projects Manager
Fernwood Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve