Re: fragrant ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] fragrant ferns
  • From: Duane Petersen dpetersen11@cox.net
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:44:14 -0600

There is or course the hayscented fern Dennstaedtia punctilobula an American hardy fern which smells like newly mown alfalfa when touched or brushed. Adiantum fragrans also has a distinct odor. Unfortunately only about one person in a thousand can smell it. I once had a customer stride right over to the table where we were selling the fern. She inquired what that wonderful smell was. Then she grabbed a handful of fragrans fronds (alliteration?) and gushed over the wonderful smell. Unfortunately that is the only person I have run across who could actually smell it. Another fern, called the tree maidenhair, didymochlaena truncatula, is also fragrant to some people. I unfortunately am one of them. It smells just like a cat box badly in need of cleaning......I hope this helps. Duane Petersen

Keith Rogers wrote:

Hi Guys

Have been asked for info on fragrant ferns.

I am pushing my memory,

Two are Nephrolepis garotti? and Microsorum scandens and an Adiantum too I
think.

Art there any more ideas or thoughts?

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum South Australia

On the web with Keith's Fern Page at
www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/

Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia Inc at
www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/