Re: Adiantums landing in Namibia

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: Adiantums landing in Namibia
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:12:51 +1300

Hi Doret

The most important thing is to maintain a high humidity around your new
surviving plants while they develop new roots and new fronds.

I imagine that the air in Namibia is often very dry. To expose vulnerable ferns
to that dry air before they have become acclimatised could be fatal to them.

They will need a *little* fresh air movement, but not a lot.

If it were me, I'd have them under a plastic bag in shade for probably some
months, certainly weeks.

Also, you will need to ensure that their roots have access to a large volume
of soil (ie use a big pot) to provide some degree of insurance against sudden
excessive water use.

Hope that helps

Brian