Re: fern breeding

Tom:

	Thanks for your work in taking time to compile a list of apogamous ferns.
This does present an interesting obstacle to a fern breeding program, but
one that should prove fun to try and overcome.  One of the great joys for
us is to find a unique individual of an apogamous species.  This was never
more evident as we work with Pteris cretica.  We have begun collecting this
species from throughout its range, and while they all are recognizable as
P. cretica, the size, color, and hardiness vary considerably.  The form
from Mt. Haleakula in Hawaii is much darker green.  A plant from Yunnan,
China reaches 6' wide, while a form that was collected in Sichuan, China in
2003 as a dwarf from a normal-sized population has maintained that dwarf
stature from spores.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page73.html.  Obviously, there
must be mutation at work...very fascinating.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road