Re: Fern apogamy

Fern Growers:

	I have been studying the list of apogamous ferns that Tom posted last week
and have a question.  We are growing a hybrid cyrtomium, C. falcataum x C.
caryotideum.  We received our original plant from Sue Olsen several years
ago.  Both species are listed as apogamous with C. falcatum swinging both
ways.  I would expect the hybrid to be apogamous also, but when we grew
spores from the original hybrid, the offspring varied widely.  Most fern
hybrids that we have tried to grow from spores are sterile, and the few
that are fertile ones appear to be apogamous.  Are their other cases in
which fertile fern hybrids are not apogamous?

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road