Re: Fern apogamy

To everyone involved in this thread - it is marvelous to trot along
with you.    And thanks for being generous in correcting correcting my
errors and misstatements.    :-)

Joe, thanks for reinforcing my point that apogamy is not likely to be
an absolute condition, with real information.

Re: chromosomal compatability, you are entirely correct that this is a
major barrier to hybridization between species of the same ploidy
level.    It is also the source of many infertile hybrids, of which the
lovely Dryopteris x. michelii  (a backcross of D. goldiana (GG) x D.
clintoniana (GGLLUU) yeilding (GGLU) is a good example.  (I talk about
Dryopteris because that is what I know best.)

The point that rare and unlikely events are more likely in a controlled
situation where numbers are favorable is very important for developing
propagation lines.

Tony, there are very distinctive and beautiful forms of Dryopteris
carthusiana and its kin.  When I find them, there are always several
similar plants, and I think it would be possible to select good forms
for a couple of generations and get reasonable returns from spore, as
long as the source plant(s) is maintained.  Requires some time and
space, but not much work.  Sadly, I have no space.

Frondly,
Betty in South Bend IN
where the next glacial period is due by Friday!