Re: artificial trees

Hmmmm That much cork bark may cost you a fortune!!!  Perhaps a producer
of corks, cork flooring, bulletin boards and such would have scrap.  How
about using tree fern pieces (slabs) and spagnum wound together with
pieces of wire?  Around here instant moss is produced by rubbing the
object (cement, rocks etc.) with chicken manure and letting it sit out
under a tree.  Without the chicken manure it takes 2 days longer! [IMAGE]
Seems to me that after the mills "skin" the logs they must have tons of
bark strips ...cedar? alder?...they are then only chipped for mulch.

I got all excited about building one when my husband reminded me we live
in a forest...seems a bit redundant for me now, but one never knows!

>From: "Donna McGraw" >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To: >Subject: Re:
[ferns] artificial trees >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:47:29 -0500 > >-----
Original Message ----- >From: "carol noel" >To: >Sent: Wednesday, July
30, 2003 12:08 AM >Subject: Re: [ferns] artificial trees > > > > I AM
sorry...but could you repeat your description of how this tree was > >
"constructed" ? > > > > Much appreciated!!! > > >Carol and the rest of
you who want more specifics - Monty talked to one of >the volunteers who
helped construct the "trees" so we'd know exactly how to >do it. They
used different widths of pvc pipe and joined them together with >the
regular pvc joints. The very bottom of the pipes are set in concrete >for
stability - then they just started building up the pipes and angled
>joints until they had a tree shape. I don't know if you can see details
>enough but they have several of these not just one "tree". The upper
most >limb is supported by a wire suspended from the rafters of the
greenhouse. >Some of the lower parts of the limbs are supported by a pipe
coming up from >the ground. Once you get the bark attached I imagine it's
fairly heavy - at >the very least I'm sure they don't want it toppling
over on some >unsuspecting visitor. The bark was wrapped around the pipe
- sometimes in >multiple layers - and secured with long screws. If you
look closely you can >see the screws in the picture that shows the end of
a limb. Most of the >ends of the limbs were covered with bark, so we had
to search for one that >showed the actual construction. One question I
don't know the answer to but >Monty might is whether they heated the
pipes to give them that natural >looking bend or if the weight of the
bark and plants did it for them. > >Does anyone know where we can get an
"eighteen wheeler" full of cork bark? > >If anyone has any more
questions, I'll try to answer them. > >Donna >