Japanese Painted Fern

  • Subject: [ferns] Japanese Painted Fern
  • From: "Ralph Archer" <ralpharcher@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:32:58 -0400

I would like to pick up the A. niponicum thread and ask a question regarding
the A. niponicum cultivars.  We added four of the subject cultivars to the
HFF Display garden at Whitehall Home in Louisville, KY USA a year ago last
fall along with several plain A. niponicum 'Pictum' and two hybrids, A. x
'Branford Beauty' and A. x Ghost . The cultivars are 'Ursula's Red',
'Branford Rambler', 'Wildwood Twist' and 'Silver Falls'.   Almost two years
later, the 'Pictum' and the two hybrids are have started to show the
distinct character associated with them, i.e. color and form.  The four
cultivars do not look very much different from any normal group of A.
niponicum 'Pictum'.

Has anyone had experience with any of the cultivars for this long or longer
and if so, do they look much different from the regular 'Pictum'?   I ask
this question as it took about two years for our first planted native lady
fern cultivar, A. f-f 'Lady in Red', to start to shine.  Now it is a traffic
Ralph in Shelbyville, KY USA