Re: fern cries

 And on my Drynaria ferns, I often see ants 'head-down' in the nectaries,
sipping on the liquid. This only occurs as the frond is unrolling on my
species. I commonly see this on D. sparsisora - it is harder to detect on
D. rigidula since the nectaries are on the pinnae stalks and somewhat
less obvious.

Cheers,

Peter Bostock
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

On Sat Jul 14 8:03 , valdy pierozynski sent:

  Hi Guys

  The Drynarias (e.g. D. quercifolia, D. sparsisora) have these
  nectaries on the underside of the fronds at the junctions of rachis
  and pinna as well. In warm weather you can sometimes see the drops of
  "nectar" glistening.

  Cheers

  Valdy

  MATT BUSBY <matt4u@b topenworld.com> wrote:
  My understanding is that common bracken (Pteridium aquilinum) has
  necteries at the junction of the rachis and pinna but I cannot recall
  a species with them on the underside of the frond.
  Matt Busby

  regferns@aol.c om wrote:
  There are several ferns that have nectaries for ants.? Suzanne Koptur
  did a wonderful article on these .Ant Protection of the Nectaried
  Fern Polypodium plebeium in Central Mexico??
  Suzanne Koptur, Victor Rico-Gray, Monica Palacios-Rios
  American Journal of Botany, Vol. 85, No. 5 (May, 1998), pp. 736-739
  doi:10.2307/2446544

  Reggie Whitehead
  South Miami, FL