Re: Adiantum pedatum propagation?

  • Subject: Re: Adiantum pedatum propagation?
  • From: Judith Jones <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:15:18 -0700

Hello Kyle,

Although the best time to divide ferns in your area is in the spring before the new growth comes up it is possible to divide ferns after the new growth has matured. You should choose a time when the weather is overcast and the temperatures will remain cool for a few days if possible. I would not split the clump into too many small pieces at this time of the year unless you have a greenhouse or cold frame to keep the smaller clumps in for the winter. I use a very light mix, with lots of pumice (you can use perlite) to promote good root growth when I pot up the divisions. If placing the divisions in the ground use plenty of well rotted compost or leaf litter. Keep evenly moist but not soggy. Judith I. Jones
Kyle Baker wrote:
If one had a fairly large clump of Adiantum pedatum, say 1 1/2' by 1 1/2' , would it be possible to lift and divide the plant to create more? If so when? what size pieces would you aim for and what type of after care would be proposed for planting?

Mr. Kyle Fletcher Baker, MCN