Re: Living with Ophioglossum

Dear Alan,
I was once aquainted with a large colony in a waste area, and there it seemed that the rhizomes could be long, though I did not do excavations to test that. Here, the plants are often in rather dense, clayish soil, making the rhizomes difficult to recover and frequently missed or omitted in collections.
I wonder if the rhizomes and associated buds represent an adaption to disturbance as well as a rapid mode of asexual dispersal. A modern example could occur when a road grader transports soil containing Ophioglossum rhizomes and buds. :-)

Betty in South Bend IN