RE: Propagating Lycopodium cernuum

Hi Chad

Lovely lot of info on growing L. cernua.

I was of the understanding that they were reliant but it appears the
disturbance factor is the problem.

I have found some peats to grow reliant plants better or only and presumed
there is Mycorrhiza in the peat, but also the fungi appears to spread very
easily from pot to pot.

Your mediums are known to me except the Arcillite.

I have seen layering done here and in Queensland of Huperzia, and if the
frond developed a kink or slight bend and was layered, it would in most
occasions create a new root growth.  That is generally how they are
propagated here in Aust from about 30 or 40 or more worldwide species.

Just recently saw some amazing efforts with a H. sp. Borneo square with that
kink on a number of fronds.  The entire pot was placed in the centre of a
nursery tray with a coarse open mix.  The fronds spread around the tray and
the kinks were pinned down into the mix.  After a while, to Ron's and
everyone's surprise, almost every frond tip that had continue to grow
normally and bend up the edge of the tray, developed a root growth at that
point also.

You used the word "coaxed", how do you do that?

I have some images of the tray layered H. sp. Bornio sq if you would like to
see them.

Keith