Re: Tree-fern query from Hawaii

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Tree-fern query from Hawaii
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:49:12 EDT

No, this is not a tree fern in the classical sense (the first time I saw  one
I too thought it was a tree fern).  Angiopteris really don't produce a
trunk, however, they do produce an upright rhizome that is covered by massive
auricles, or stipules that form a superficial trunk. The auricles  (stipules) are
at the base of the fronds, and sort of support  the fronds. When the fronds
die, the auricles remain.
I have seen some of these rhizomes that are approximately 4 feet tall,  and 3
feet wide (sorry this is not in metric).  Hidden within the stipules,  are
[usually] 2 dormant buds from which (under the right conditions), new plants
will emerge. This is an excellent way of propagating this fern because spore
propagation takes a longer period.  It is possible to get plants from the
auricles in approximately 6 months, vs. 1 - 2 years via spores.
Reggie  Whitehead
South Miami, Florida