Adiantum capillus-veneris

  • Subject: [ferns] Adiantum capillus-veneris
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:40:28 -0400

Dear Fern Growers:

I was fortunate recently to finally visit the disjunct population of Adiantum capillus-veneris just south of Rapid City, South Dakota. Has anyone else seen this amazing sight? The plants line a small creek in which the water reportedly never drops below 67 degrees F. The plants also grow on hummocks out in the water, which I have never observed before with this species. Everyone assumes that the plants will not survive cold temperatures without the moderation of the water, but I'm not so certain. Although they never stray far from the creek, the limiting factor may simply be moisture, since this is a very dry area with Calochortus growing only 50' away. If anyone is visiting Mt. Rushmore, these are just about 1 hour south at the JH Keith Park, just around the corner from the Mammoth Excavation Site in Hot Springs, SD...both worth the drive.

--
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @