Re: Japanese Painted Ferns

Hello Everyone
  I was about to reply to this item but other parties have responded admirably with accurate information.
  Interestingly, this morning, I visited a garden centre in Warwickshire looking for something not connected with ferns and found several ferns labelled as Athyrium nipponicum  Metallicum. They were all typical A. n. pictum except that several of them were crested.  They were in 2L pots and at #5.99, I resisted the urge to buy.
  Matt Busby

bkhamilton <bkhamilton@earthlink.net> wrote:
  I too have japanese painted growing in a difficult spot -- dry, hot, with for a while 2-4 hours of intense afternoon sun. It is the prettiest fern you can imagine, and I can imagine some real beauties! I'm thinking of moving it near some roses that get 1/2 day intense sun and more moisture. And Yes, we get really intesne hot sun here in NW IN!!

South Bend IN