Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #18

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #18
  • From: "Scott L Hadley" <plantman@midmaine.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:16:27 -0500

Hi Rufino,

Agreed. About the biological pollutants. Some such problems have indeed
found their way into Maine. What was "unimaginable" to me is that one of the
Osmundas I know could possibly have found a way to reproduce itself to an
extent as to become an invasive, or pollutant species. The spores, as I
understand it, are very short-lived, even photosynthetic, unlike the
"modern" ferns. This makes them vulnerable or so I thought. Conditions must
be exactly right for these spores in any climate where Osmunda regalis is a
pest.

I hope that someone may enlighten me about its reproductive behavior in the
regions where it is not welcome, as I believe New Zealand was one listed
region.

Thanks,
Scott L. Hadley
Lamoine, ME

Our Personal Website with Maine and Yellowstone Photos:
http://www.lamoine.dns2go.com

Webshots Photo Albums with Maine and Winter 2004 (most recent) Photos:
 http://community.webshots.com/user/plantplanman