Re: Deer proof ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Deer proof ferns
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:50:31 -0500

> From: mahouse@verizon.net
> I live in zone 6 in the USA.  A friend asked me if I knew of any
deer proof
> ferns.  The local Bambi is chomping all of hers!  I haven't had
that problem.

> Can anyone answer that question?
----------

I truly do not believe that there is a deer-proof plant on this
planet; they have leather mouths and will try just about anything at
least once if they are hungry enough.  Given that my local herd has
never touched any of the ferns in my garden, it's hard to make a
recommendation.

Do you know which of your friend's ferns they are eating?  Do they
eat them during the growing season or are they just attacking them
during winter (which doesn't really hurt the fern unless they stomp
on it or pull it out of the ground)?

My local herd used to (before deer fence) eat Liriope in winter, but
not during the growing season..so their diet does change with the
season and availability of food.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade