RE: luku?

HI...

Vacations in Niue might be difficult..the island was leveled in a recent
cyclone...devastated.  It WAS some of the clearest water in the South
Pacific for diving.  I wonder if any ferns ARE left?

Carol

>From: "Winter, Wim de" <Wim.dewinter@wur.nl> >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net
>To: <ferns@hort.net> >Subject: RE: [ferns] luku? >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005
22:09:21 +0100 > >Hoi Keith, > >Well observed! There might be other
species of the complex involved indeed, >but I agree that Asplenium cf.
australasicum would be a very acceptable guess >given the limited
information. > >The next one going on holiday in Niue should do some
fieldwork (and perhaps >bring them some consonants..:-) > >Wim > >
Keith Rogers >Sent: Mon 3/21/2005 1:38 PM >To: ferns@hort.net >Cc:
>Subject: RE: [ferns] luku? >Hi Wim > >The stamp shows the back keel of
the frond and A. nidus has a ridge (like an >inverted U)on the inside of
the frond. > >A. cymbifolium is on Tanna Isl in Vanuatu and also Samoa
but I don't think >these are that, as it is a neat rosette and a similar
keel to A. >australasicum. > >Keith > > > >-----Original Message-----
>From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of
>Winter, Wim de >Sent: Monday, 21 March 2005 7:12 PM >To: ferns@hort.net
>Subject: RE: [ferns] luku? > >In addition, a stamp exists picturing a
Niuean gathering luku. The picture >strongly suggests it's an Asplenium
of the A. nidus-group. I have made the >image temporarily available
through: > >http://huizen.ddsw.nl/bewoners/wimw/temp/Niue.jpg > >WdW > >
>-----Original Message----- >From: owner-ferns@hort.net
[mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net]On Behalf Of Winter, >Wim de >Sent: Sun,
March 20, 2005 22:23 >To: ferns@hort.net >Subject: [ferns] luku? > > >My
attention was drawn to a fern use on Niue (?Savage Island?) of which I
>haven't been able to identify the species concerned (consumed): > >
>"The luku fern is another indigenous plant used in Niuean cooking and is
>boiled, stir-fried or baked in an earth oven with coconut cream and
chicken >or >corned beef." > >elsewhere , it says: > >"The Luku is also a
very handsome plant (? fern), the bright shiny leaves of >which grow
sometimes to a length of 6 feet, with a width of 6 inches. There >are two
species known to the nativesLuku-fua, the leaves of which are >eaten,
>it has the midrib green; and the Luku-la-ua, of which both roots and
leaves >are eaten, it has the midrib black." > >Is anyone familiar with
the vernacular Luku? > >Wim de Winter > >[demime 1.01d removed an
attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a >name of winmail.dat]