Re: Request for help in identifying a fern

Sorry, Otto, I beg to differ.

I don't think it is not Microsorum membranifolium. I have observed that fern in north Queensland. M. membranifolium has fewer, more regularly arranged, coarser and larger soral "mounds" on the upper lamina, always has at least some fronds partially or fully pinnatifid, and has a different appearance - more stiffly glossy - than the illustrated plant.

I consulted Queensland Herbarium specimens (Herbarium BRI) looking for a match, but no luck so far. I'll try again tomorrow. We have an extensive duplicate set of New Guinea plants including ferns (the LAE and NGF series) - these are also at Missouri and the Australian National Herbarium among many others.

Cheers,

Peter