: Re: Fern from New Guinea

  • Subject: : Re: [ferns] Fern from New Guinea
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:04:32 +1300

Hi all,

Denise wrote

> Hi Brian,
>     I am new to computor and forum.  But Loved Your photo.  I have grown
> ferns in oz for 30 Years and there is a fern being sold here now as the
> lizard fern, microsorium musifolium,but the spore is not as raised but looks a
> lot like yours..    But I am wondering if it was collected in the 'wild' it may
> be the only one in cultvation. and it may never have been classified?????
>
>      Will there be any spore available for purchase?????

Hello Denise; as much as I might  like to, I can not take any credit for those
two excellent photos. They were crafted with considerable photographic
knowledge and skill by the person who brought the enquiry to me.

All I did was create the web-page to hold them.

That particular fern plant is in the living ferns collection of the University of
Massachusetts, USA. Who knows if it is the only one in cultivation?.

If, as has been said, this is a fairly common lowland species in NG, it should
not be too hard to come by, with a little ingenuity.

When I get the copy of the ferns volume of Flora Malesiana that I am
negotiating to purchase, I might be in a better position to comment on that.
However, it could be from 6 weeks to 10 weeks before this book is in my
hands.

Sincerely,

Brian