Re: Selaginella spores

  • Subject: Re: Selaginella spores
  • From: Ross Koning <koning@easternct.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:01:02 -0400

Hi Lizzy,

I have NOT done this with S. apoda...however with S. kraussiana...

Line a 10 cm Petri dish with a 9 cm disc of filter paper.
Moisten with 5 or 6 mL of distilled water.
Sow megaspores sparingly on the moistened paper.
Sow microspores generously over the megaspores.
Incubate under fluorescent light (NOT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!!).
Keep moist at the same level of "free water" on the filter paper
(tilt the dish to one side to see how big the pool is...maintain never-dry
and never-drowned).

It takes a few weeks with S. kraussiana to have sporelings.

ross