Fern Life Cycle Rates

  • Subject: [ferns] Fern Life Cycle Rates
  • From: Mike Barker <mbarker@bio.indiana.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 02:53:19 -0500

To all,
I am currently working on a genetic mapping project in Ceratopteris and I am looking for some information on life cycle rates in other ferns. Basically, what is the shortest time anyone has observed to get from spore to spore in a fern species? Ceratopteris richardii does it in about 120 days. I am interested in doing genetic work on something other than Ceratopteris (not the most handsome morphology), and I would need something with a relatively quick life cycle. But I am just curious about the shortest times people have observed, and if anybody has any tricks to speed life cycles up.

Also, check out http://www.adiantopsis.com It will be the future home of my Adiantopsis monograph. Currently it is just a title, but I am interested in what people think about it so far. I will post on this list when updates are made.

Thanks,
Mike Barker

--

Mike Barker