Re: New species

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] New species
  • From: Sue Olsen foliageg@juno.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:55:49 -0700

Hello Mike,
Mickel and Smith in Pteridophytes of Mexico write "Dryopteris
flaccisquama A. Rojas, recently described from Costa Rica to Bolivia and
Haiti, is merely a very large form of D. patula, and probably not worthy
of species distinction." They do, however give long a description of D.
knoblochii. In sum it is similar to D. rossii differing primarily in
having tan or light brown, concolourous stipe base scales, lacking
blackened tips. It is also similar to D. cinnamomea differing in part by
having fewer, smaller, less orangish dull stipe base scales. Obviously
this is just a small part of their botanical description.
If you could send me your snail mail address, off line, I will send you a
page scan.
Hope this helps,
Sue Olsen
Bellevue, WA