Re: Lowest pinnae length as ID clincher

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Lowest pinnae length as ID clincher
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 12:11:32 -0700

Hello Larry,
    I believe I mentioned before that Dryopteris dilatata is a very free
sowing weed for me in my greenhouses along with D. carthusiana and local
natives.  Chris Page writes that it is a "rapidly-growing species and a
vigorous fern to the point of becoming weedy, especially int he cooler north
of Britian."
    Other observations that might help you in his key:
Stipe scales:  "abundant, large upward-pointing scales, which densely
overlap each other at the base of the stipe, and in old, well-established
plants these are very large and of a coarse texture.  In the majority of
plants, these scales have pale edges, with a conspicuous central dark-brown
lengthwise stripe, sometimes sufficiently broad to make the whole of each
scale, andhence the whole base of the stipe, appear a deep shining
blackish-brown. The bases of the stipe scales are usually cordate-i.e.
hollowed and lobed either side in a heart-shaped manner.  Juvenile fronds
and those arising from occasional, long creeping, ofset rhizomes, frequently
have only sparse, pale, more concolorous stipe scales, with only a few
darker, centrally located cells in the extreme base."  These atypical scales
have caused confusion in assigning dilatata cultivars to other species.
Judith I. Jones