NY Tropical Fern Collection

  • Subject: [ferns] NY Tropical Fern Collection
  • From: GarKelLeo@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:19:02 EDT

Hello Everyone,
My name is Gary Leonard and I own a decent sized collection of tropical
epiphytic ferns. These ferns are all pretty rare in the trade and have been
obtained by mail order, trades from fellow growers or grown by spore. All are housed
in a basement case which I have dubbed the Fernarium. The fernarium is roughly
52" x 33" x 24" with 6 x 40W tubes and Pro Mist misting system.

My fern collection has been growing over the last 6-7 years and I would
consider myself a very knowledgable/talented grower of epiphytic ferns. I am by far
an expert. What I have learned is that this hobby is very difficult to grow
these plants effectively in moss baskets, fern slabs or even pots without the
space and air movement of a greenhouse. Growing ferns vertically is my favorite
but takes a lot of space and time which I no longer have.

My family is gearing up to have our basement renovated for an entertainment
room and an additional bathroom. I am looking to find a fern person who has a
passion for tropical epiphytic ferns who may have a greenhouse in the Hudson
Valley area of NY and may be willing to take in my collection and allow it the
room to grow and give them the care they need. Care such as repotting, planting
in moss baskets and allowing the rhizomes the chance to creep freely. Many
are in need of space and work, but are healthy.

I am not exactly sure I want to do this and thought I would see if anyone was
in my area and interested. If I was to find someone with the skills to take
in this collection the only thing I would ask is that I may visit/ assist in
care occasionally. And last, when I am ready to start growing again to share
divisions to start a fresh collection, possibly in my own greenhouse.

Half of my collection has already been donated to a local Botanical Gardens
type institution and they let me assist in their care but I would prefer to
share the rest with a dedicated/ knowledgeable individual. I am not interested in
entertaining offers to novices.

Feel free to contact me off line as well as on. I check my emails every few
days and may not respond right away. Please note I may try to keep the
collection and am reaching out to see who may me local and willing. The thought of
parting bothers me greatly.

Thank You for your  time.