Re: red leaf mystery continues

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: red leaf mystery continues
  • From: "Dean Ouer" d.ouer@cox.net
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:44:09 -0800

Thanks everyone for the feedback about emerging red frond ferns. However, I
am no closer to an explanation to my original inquiry that seems more than
just conjecture. In order to clarify my initial curiosity and question, let
me throw this back out for discussion in light of the recent feedback.
I agree that the red coloration in ferns seems more pronounced during cooler
weather. This generally also seems to hold true with palms that have red
emerging fronds, though not always. On this gentle slope over several
thousand acres in Hawaii that is covered with Sadleria cyatheoides, it
changes from a green leaf to a red leaf in the matter of several feet,
continually across the slope. You could almost string a line and everything
on the lower side is green emerging and everything on the upper side is red
emerging with the plants appearing identical in other respects.
Of course, my initial speculation was a climatic influence of weather, soil,
or light. However, I am aware of a S. cyatheiodes that supposedly has a red
frond in all different conditions. Several books mention it. Therefore, I
thought this red leafed variety in question was a different species or
However, this seemed strange because of the abruptness of the change in
these plants. It is almost as if over hundreds of square miles on this slope
every single fern on one side of a road would be green without exception and
the other side would be all red without one exception. This in an area
literally covered with Sadleria cyatheiodes. I might add, I am fairly
certain these are all S. cyatheiodes and not another Sadleria species.
Even if they are different species or variants, I found it hard to believe
what I was seeing with essentially no noticeable overlap in area between the
two populations.
Of course the easy test would be to take a red leaf plant from the higher
area and transplant it in a lower area and see what happens. However, I hear
they are touchy to replant and would be especially so in lava. Even so, I
will attempt to do so on my next trip in Dec. I would like to bring spore
back of the red leaf fern to So. California, but I hear it is not easy to
grow and it would be a long time before I knew if I had a different fern
than the green leafed variety I and others are presently growing here. If
someone knew for sure, I could save myself a lot of time and trouble.
I might add the following. Since I am new to ferns I have not heard "fern
people" suggest a reason for the red emerging frond. In the palm society we
have surmised that it is a defense mechanism for the new tender growth to
appear brown or dead to marauding insects. Supposedly to their "eyesight"
red appears brown and therefore dead, and flying insects will bypass this
succulent tender growth.
Thanks again for all those who contribute to this discussion,
Dean Ouer