Adiantum lovers

I have an A. hispidulum that has lived outside for any number of years. In that time we have had a week of -5 Fahrenheit. You know, don't know the year, but camellias were killed back to the ground. I think it is adaptive. At any rate, I put out 50 and two lived. I grew spores from the one that lived, but Lee gathered them in. So much for experiments. The one that survived had no covering at all. The other was in a place that I have had non-hardy ones to survive.
As to A. venustum, It survived in pots, but was really fine. Took it 2 years to recover, but is now growing like it did on the west coast. I'm about to try it back in pots. You wouldn't recognize it. If you want to try some of the rest of them, I'm available. We haven't had the winters that I am used to..... Nancy

Several folks have answered about tropical adiantums, but not much mention
has been made of winter hardy species. We find these fascinating and have
collected several species as follows:

A. aleuticum - very hardy in both cold and heat
A. bellum - wild collected in Bermuda and has survived well here...so far
to 9 degrees F after two winters. Our form resembles a very compact A.
A. capillis-veneris - A great garden plant but very variable from different
locations. We grow clones from Alabama, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida
panhandle, Michigan, Texas. I am looking for spore of the population from
the Dakotas. I picked up several Texas forms this year that looked to be
wonderfully dwarf. This will be their first winter outdoors here. I
collected this also on Uullong Island, Korea, but I didn't get good spores.
I would like to try this form again.
A. caudatum - I have never found this to be hardy before obtaining a new
wild collection from China which has been perfectly hardy through 9 degrees F.
A. hispidulum - I have never overwintered this outdoors, but collected it
at the top of Mt. Haleakala in Hawaii this year and when the sporelings are
large enough will try these outdoors. There must be a hardy form of this.
A. lorentzii - We saw this everywhere in northern Argentina. It survived
our first winter of 9 degrees F and very wet. We saw this species range
from 18" tall to 4" tall.
A. pedatum - ditto, we have a clone that we wild collected in Louisiana
that is probably more heat tolerant than most in the trade
A. thalictroides - fabulous species from our Argentina trip...seems to love
the climate here and reaches 2' tall with very fine leaves
A. venustum - does fine here once established, but will not over-summer in
containers. This is fine north to at least zone 5. I have collected this
in the Himalayas at 11,000' but it did not survive the trip home.

Has anyone else had experiences with winter hardiness of adiantum.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road