Re: vermin

Betty - thanks for the great information and warnings.

Bayer says their Tree and Shrub formula is supposed to last for 12
months, but I find 6 to 7 months on the outside for its' effectiveness  I
have also been told(by someone who deals in pesticides) that it does not
migrate to the flowers or the fruit and that it is used on some orchard
crops...but I am skeptical of that.  Aphids and mealies will live in the
flowers and umbels of my hoyas quite happily, though, while the rest of
the plant is clean.

Carol

>From: Betty Hamilton <bkhamilton@earthlink.net> >Reply-To:
ferns@hort.net >To: ferns@hort.net >Subject: Re: [ferns] vermin >Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:07:23 -0500 > >Hi Folks! > As a plant physiologist, I
would like to add a few things to the >discussion on Imidocloprid , and
other systemics.  First, they are >strong chemicals, and should all be
used very carefully.  It is not >just the pesticide that is dangerous.
The carriers and stabilizers >that accompany them may be more toxic than
the pesticide.   Further, >the active agents may be volatile or unstable
in the soil, so they >may be available for absorption for only a short
time.  Kyle may >have a better handle on this, but it is something to
keep in mind. > Second, as systemics, they have to be taken up by the
plant, and >that puts certain limitations on their effectiveness.  Plants
which >are actively growing/transpiring will take up more active agent
than >those not in active growth.  So bright light encourages uptake.
>Abundant water is necessary to carry the chemical to the roots, at >the
time of application.  Fertilization with systemic treatment may
>stimulate root activity, which would increase uptake.  To treat a >whole
plant requires that a large part of the root system be exposed >to the
systemic all at once, as there is no central switching yard >for water
movement in plants. > Third, insects not actively feeding while the
chemical remains in >the plant will not be affected.  I do not know how
long the >systemics remain in the plant, but hope likely exceeds reality
in >this case.  Any dormant or inactive scales will just sit out the
>assault, and live to reproduce another day. > Just as a side note,
Imidocloprid is the active ingredient in the >popular Grub-X, used to
treat lawns for ..... grubs!!!!.  The >populations of rose chafer grubs
(very similar to Japanese beetle >grubs) have gotten high in my garden,
causing damage to quite a few >ornamentals, including my hardy ferns.
Grub-X to the rescue, >followed by milky spore to establish lasting
control.  I hope. > I know winter is upon us, but I am very reluctant to
use >Imidocloprid in the house.  My plan is to do any treatments in warm
>weather, outdoors, so the  plants get their dose, and volitile
>components have a chance to disperse before the plants come back
>into  the house. > > >Betty in South Bend, where the leaves are finally
falling, and   >winter is just around the corner!!!! > > > >>Mary, >>
won't help you much, at the Boerenbond... >> >>Wim >> >> >>-----Original
Message----- >>From: owner-ferns@hort.net on behalf of Mary Gorton
>>Sent: Sun 11/13/2011 1:35 AM >>To: ferns@hort.net >>Cc: >>Subject: Re:
[ferns] vermin >>Wim, >> >>Where do you get 'sticks' of Imidocloprid and
what is the name >>under which >>it is sold? >> >>Mary Gorton >>

http://www.hort.net/funds/