N.Y. Fern Society December meeting

  • Subject: [ferns] N.Y. Fern Society December meeting
  • From: "chris ed" <cle11104@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:20:18 -0500

NOTE: Visitors to NYC are welcome to the meetings.

For subway travel instructions kindly contact: cle11104@att.net privately

Dear members and friends,

At the October meeting a large crowd was treated to a wonderful presentation by Suzy Ludwig, chapter vice-president, about the ferns
she grows at home. Suzy brought enough ferns to fill two large tables and talked about each one, discussing its cultural
requirements and how it has grown for her. She also brought ferns and beautiful fern pots for sale. Thank you, Suzy, for an excellent
program, and thanks also to Bonnie McKenzie for a wonderful job organizing the silent auction of the plants.

For our next meeting, December 4, 10 am - 1 pm, Ill give a short talk about my summer experiences with ferns in Costa Rica. Oliver
Sacks was also with me on that trip for one week at the La Selva Biological Station, a lowland rainforest; Ill show you some of the
interesting ferns we saw there. For our main program, members of the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, Greater New York Chapter, will show us their original botanical artwork and explain some of the techniques they use to create it. It should be a terrific
meeting!

The meeting is also our annual holiday potluck luncheon. Please bring two dishes (main dish and either salad or dessert) if you are
a couple, or one if you are by yourself. Coffee, tea, and cider will be provided. Paper plates and plastic utensils will be available,
but bring your own plates and silverware if you prefer. Important: please bring your food ready to serve, with utensils. This helps
everyone enjoy the program beforehand. Dues remain at $10 for the coming year and are payable at the next meeting or the January meeting, or by mail. Checks should be made payable to The New York Botanical Garden and sent to Dr. John
Mickel.

I look forward to seeing you at the December meeting!

Sincerely, Robbin Moran Chapter President

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx